Collage of Greenwich sights, link to Homepage.
Town Clerk
Marriage Licenses

Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Telephone: 203-622-7869                     

No appointment necessary to apply for a marriage license. Fee for a license is $30.00 (subject to change). Cash or Check* are acceptable payments. *Return check fee of $25.00.
License will be ready the following business day.

Premarital Requirements in Connecticut
A marriage license is required by the Marriage License Laws of Connecticut. The procedure for obtaining the marriage license and other related information is stated below.

  • Both parties must appear in person to apply for marriage license.
  • You must apply in the Town where the ceremony will be performed.
  • Bring valid government issued photo ID.
  • License is valid for 65 days from date of application.

Age Requirements
Applicants (18) years of age or over do not require parental consent to marry in Connecticut.

Minors 16 & 17 Years Old
Probate Court Judge of jurisdiction where minor resides must approve the issuance of a marriage license to the minor.

Under 16 Years of Age
No marriage license will be issued.

Exact Name
Full legal name is required. No abbreviations, nicknames or initials. The information for the marriage license should appear as it does on your birth certificate, unless your name has been legally changed (i.e. previous marriage, court order name change, naturalization).

Connecticut Residents Marrying in Another State
Not all states have the same requirements. Contact the state in which the marriage ceremony will be held.

Civil Ceremony
Please request a list of Justices of the Peace and call someone from the list to make arrangements. These are the people who can perform a civil ceremony.

If you wish to have the ceremony at Town Hall, you MUST let the  Justice of the Peace know what day and time so that a room can be reserved. 

Marriage License Worksheet

Department Information
· General Information
· Frequently Asked Questions
Local Permits and Licenses
· Marriage Licenses
· Annual Dog License 
· Shellfish Permit
State of Connecticut
· Wildlife & Hunting Permits
· Business Registration & Licensing
· Notary Public 
· Get an Absentee Ballot 
Vital Record Copies
· Birth Certificates
· Death Certificates
· Marriage Certificates
· Purchase Vital Records Online  
Useful Links
· Representative Town Meeting (RTM)  
· Justices of the Peace
· Election Results
Featured Sections of Our Site
design image
Greenwich POCD 2019
Greenwich Water Supply & Conservation
Greenwich Community Television
The Greenwich Community Covenant
Community Videos

Town Hall - 101 Field Point Road, Greenwich, CT 06830. Phone: (203) 622-7700. Copyright © , Town of Greenwich. All rights reserved.