Collage of Greenwich sights, link to Homepage.
Building Inspection Division
Building & Trade Permits

Building and Trade Permits are issued by the Building Inspection Division of the Department of Public Works. Applications for these permits can be obtained below or at the Office of Building Inspection, Town Hall, 2nd floor.

Don't know if you need a Building Permit?
Find out here when Building Permits are required.

Familiarize yourself with the Building Permit Process.
This document describes the permit process from filing a permit to getting a final Certificate of Occupancy. It includes photos of the various stages of construction during which inspections are needed. You can download a copy to print out, (without photos) or pick up a copy at the Building Inspection Office.

Responsibilities of the building permittee
If you are applying for a Building Permit, be sure to read this explanation of your responsibilities.

Permit Fee Schedule
Refer to this for applicable fees.

Building Permit Application Packets

Below you will find links for Building Permit Applications. Each link contains not only the application, but also instructions, checklists and all other forms that may be required for filing a permit application. The packets also include a guide to filling out the application properly - please refer to this to avoid delays in the processing and issuing of your permit.

Fill out the applications on screen by clicking and typing in each field, and then print out. Sign the printed application and have signatures notarized where required.

Important: All permit application forms must be printed on legal size paper (8 1/2" x 14"). Reduced size copies (printed on letter paper) are not acceptable because ample room is needed for handwritten notations on the applications by office staff. Any forms that have a colored background must be printed in color. Color printouts are necessary because the Division uses a color coding system.

Permit applications must be hand delivered to the Building Inspection Office. Applications are not accepted by fax or email.

You will need Acrobat Reader software to obtain forms online. If you don't have it, you can download it for free by clicking here.

New Building or Structure

Additions and Alterations

Demolition of Buildings/Structures Built Prior to 1940

Demolition of Buildings/Structures Built After 1939    
Outdoor Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs (in ground and above ground)

Exterior Signs

Special Events (tents, fairs, carnivals, etc.)

Tennis Courts

Exterior Decks

Fences/Walls (free standing & retaining)
over 6'0" in height:

Trade Permit Information

HVAC                                                                                                                                                                  Generators

News & Department Info
· Frequently Asked Questions
Board Information
· Planning & Zoning Board of Appeals
· Building Code Board of Standards &
Building Inspection
· Information & Hours
· Forms
· Inspections
· Certificates of Occupancy
· Code Questions & Info
· Archives
Building Construction & Maintenance
· Information & Hours

· Information & Hours
· Plans, Projects & Details 
· Traffic Signs, Signals & Regulations
· Stormwater Information
· Flood & Erosion Control Board  
· Standard Construction Details 

· Information & Hours
· Leaf Collection
· Snow Removal
· Animal Disposal
· Call Before You Dig
· Information & Hours
· Private Inflow Removal
· Smoke Testing Program
· Sewer Extension Projects
Waste Disposal
· Information & Hours
· Trash
· Recycling
· Hazardous Waste Day
Important Links
· Report Tree Problems
· Report Street Light Problems
· Contractor Payments
Related Links
· Police Dept., Traffic Section
· Parking Services Department
· CT Dept. of Transportation
Featured Sections of Our Site
design image
Greenwich POCD 2019
Greenwich Water Supply & Conservation
Greenwich Community Television
The Greenwich Community Covenant
Community Videos

Town Hall - 101 Field Point Road, Greenwich, CT 06830. Phone: (203) 622-7700. Copyright © , Town of Greenwich. All rights reserved.