Director: Michael S. Long, MS
Telephone: (203) 622-7838
Location: Third floor of Town Hall
Office Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Mon. - Fri.
Public Counter Service: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, Mon. - Fri.
Beach Swimming Status
Check on Product Recalls
Environmental Services Fees
Shellfish Bed Status
Organic Lawn Care
Zika Virus Disease Questions and Answers
Applications & Forms
This Division includes two major components: Environmental Health and Laboratory.
The Environmental Health program is responsible for the establishment and execution of municipal environmental program functions that are either State or locally mandated. The program offers a variety of services, which include, but are not limited to, sanitation, housing code enforcement, sewage disposal inspection and plan review, food service inspection and environmental surveys. The Division functions as a component of the land-use agencies and provides consultation services to all citizens regarding public health issues.
The Laboratory component offers clinical and environmental testing services to the general public, which include blood lead testing, lead, radon, well water and tick testing, and supports the Environmental Health program in its efforts to monitor beaches, rivers, streams and lead in air. The laboratory serves other Town Departments with its analytical services.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PROGRAM
The division handles the following under this program:
- Samples the Town's drinking water and collects samples from ponds, rivers, streams, private well water supplies and all Town beaches.
- Answers complaints about noise, open burning, chemical and oil spills, odors, food service establishments, barber shop and beauty salons, animal control, residential and commercial housing, schools and child day care centers, etc.
- Oversees the installation of all subsurface sewage disposal systems and approves all plans relating to this program; reviews and approves well drilling permits.
- Licenses all food service establishments, barber shop and beauty salons, indoor and outdoor public pools, marine dock facilities and itinerant vendors within The Town
Director: Douglas A. Serafin
Telephone: (203) 622-7843
Location: Ground floor of Town Hall
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. No water samples on Fri.
Public Counter Service: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Mon. - Fri.
The Laboratory is licensed by the Connecticut Department of Public Health to perform a wide range of environmental and clinical services necessary for the promotion and advancement of community health including:
- Testing for lead in water, ceramic and paint
- Blood lead testing
- Well water testing for bacteria and chemicals
- Identification and testing of ticks associated with Lyme Disease
- Transport of animal carcasses to State Laboratory for the control of rabies virus
- Testing associated with well baby clinics and community programs
- Cholesterol testing
Public health laboratory services have been available in Greenwich for over a hundred years. Follow this link to the blog "Laboratory Stories,"
which contains a wealth of information on the people and practices that have made the Greenwich Department of Health Laboratory what it is today.