July marked the posting of a new sign at the entrance to the Calabrian town of Rose, Italy. It celebrates the Sister City declaration of March, 2013 and indicates the close relationship established between Rose and Greenwich.
Immigrants from Rose arrived in Greenwich from the 1880’s to work as stonemasons and gardeners as the Great Estate homes were being constructed.
They later sent tickets for their wives and families and established new lives for all in our town. Many of their descendants continue to play critical roles in Greenwich, both in town government and in private companies. We truly are Sister Cities as the sign proclaims!
The photo below shows the exchange of documents in March, 2013.