“The sun will always shine on Put’s Hill now that the park has its sign back. It is a very special landmark.” These are the words of Greenwich’s Annie Gorin, who was asked in 2012 by Regent Sally Bretschger of the DAR to create a replica of the sign which had hung for many years at the top of the hill down which General Israel Putnam rode to get reinforcements from Stamford as a large group of Redcoats approached Greenwich in February 26, 1779. Ms. Gorin, who works at Hubbardton Forge in Castleton, Vermont, began the arduous process of recreating the design of the original sign which was then sent to Northeastern Water Jet in Amsterdam, NY to cut the sign from 1/4 inch thick plate steel using abrasive water jets, resurfacing and finally powder coating it.
Below is Annie Gorin with her remarkable work:
As one of the Town’s 375th Anniversary events, February 22, 2015 began with a flag ceremony at Putnam Cottage and a fife and rum corps led residents from Putnam Cottage to the historic hill. Hugh Francis, portraying General Israel Putnam on horseback, led the procession.
First Selectman Peter Tesei watched as General Putnam approached the monument and sign.
After the hilltop gathering and rededication of the sign, Davidde Strackbein, the Chairman of the Town of Greenwich 375th Anniversary celebrations, led a ceremony honoring General Putnam and his defense of Greenwich during the Revolutionary War.
Greenwich Boy Scouts watch and listen as Davidde Strackbein shares the story of General Putnam’s ride.
The ceremony was followed at Putnam Cottage by demonstrations by reenactors of Revolutionary War military tactics.