|Bruce Museum |
"The Bruce Museum of Arts and Science plays an integral role in the cultural life of the residents of the Town of Greenwich and its surrounding communities." said Peter C. Sutton, Executive Director.
One Museum Drive
Greenwich, CT 06830
Telephone: (203) 869-0376
Museum Web Site: BruceMuseum.org
Museum Hours: Tues.-Sun. 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Closed Mondays & major holidays.
Admission: Adults $7, Students (ages 5-22) $6, Seniors (65 and up) $6, Under 5 Free, Members Free. Free to all on Tuesdays.
Tours of Museum exhibitions are held every Friday at 12:30 p.m. and are free with admission.
Museum Store: Open 10:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Tues.-Sat., and 1:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. on Sunday. No admission is charged to visit the Museum Store only. Parking: Free, on-site parking is available.
Handicapped Accessible: The museum is accessible to the handicapped.
Situated in a beautiful park setting at the foot of Greenwich Avenue, the Bruce presents more than a dozen changing exhibitions annually. Its permanent exhibition spaces feature a minerals gallery, a marine tank, and displays that explain the environmental and historical development of the area.
The Bruce Museum attracts more than 100,000 visitors annually. Outstanding exhibitions draw thousands of visitors to experience diverse topics in the arts and sciences.
School and group tours
Museum-based school services and group-tours programs serve more than 12,000 people annually.
The Brucemobile outreach program provides hands-on educational classes to schools, libraries, and after-school and senior centers, reaching more than 8,000 students and adults from the Bronx to Bridgeport.
Every summer, the Bruce Museum provides a variety of educational opportunities relating to Long Island Sound at the Seaside Center in Greenwich Point Park.
The Bruce Museum's Speakers Bureau is a newly instituted program that offers free audio-visual presentations to area organizations.
There are more than 100 diverse educational programs for the general public every year in the Bruce's Bantle Lecture Gallery related to the Museum's exhibitions and collections. The Hascoe Art Lecture Series, Science Lecture Series, Dinner-Lecture Series, Trips and Tours, the Robert Bruce Circle, and the popular singles' event Fridays in the Round are just a few of the public programs presented on a regular basis.
Family Days, Music and Workshops
The Bruce also hosts a number of Family Days, Music at the Bruce concerts for children and adults, and special Teachers' Workshops that provide curatorial tours followed by presentations for school programs and teachers' materials.
Arts and Crafts Festivals
Every fall the Bruce Museum presents its Outdoor Arts Festival in October and in the spring an Outdoor Crafts Festival in May. These award-winning, juried events feature artisans from across the country.
The Museum's affiliate organizations include the Greenwich Antiques Society, Astronomical Society of Greenwich, Archaeological Associates of Greenwich, Connecticut Ceramics Study Circle, Association of Science-Technology Centers, Connecticut Art Trail, and Chamber Players of the Greenwich Symphony.
The history of the Bruce Museum dates back to 1908 when Robert Moffat Bruce, a wealthy textile merchant, deeded his property to the Town of Greenwich, stipulating that it be used as "a natural history, historical, and art museum for the use and benefit of the public."
The first exhibition at the Bruce Museum featured works by a local group known as the Greenwich Society of Artists, several of whom were members of the Cos Cob Art Colony. The Museum served as home base for the Greenwich Society of Artists hosting its Annual Exhibition from 1912 through 1926.
The Cos Cob School is now well established as an important part of the history of American painting, and it forms the nucleus of the Museum's holdings of paintings, watercolors, sketchbooks, and notebooks by such artists as Leonard and Mina Ochtman, George Wharton Edwards, and Hobart Jacobs.
In later years, the Museum significantly expanded its base of support and its outreach into the community with an active volunteer fund raising organization, the Bruce Museum Associates, garnering much private support. The Museum also increased its staff and restructured its governance.
In recent years, the Town and the Bruce Museum Associates merged to become one governing body, and in 1992 the Bruce Museum, Inc. was established as a non-profit organization. Also in 1992, the Bruce Museum undertook a complete renovation of its 139-year-old building.
Reopened in September 1993, the new Bruce featured an architectural structure wrapped around the original building, which housed art galleries on one side of the main pavilion with galleries of environmental history on the other. Continued growth over the years in attendance, exhibitions, public programs, and collections is leading the Bruce to undertake an architectural study of its future space and facilities needs.
The Bruce Museum, with a membership of nearly 3,000, has a staff that includes 32 full-time employees, and 9 part-time employees. More than 500 volunteers contribute more than 1,400 hours annually.
The Bruce Museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums (AAM), the professional organization for museums in the United States, which signifies and recognizes excellence within the museum community.
The Bruce Museum's Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer is Peter C. Sutton. Co-chair of Bruce Museum, Inc., are Diane Darst and Lucy Ricciardi.