Co-Chairs: Denise Savageau and Caroline Baisley
Committee Membership List
The Board of Selectmen established an Artificial Turf Working Group, to include Board of Education, Department of Parks & Recreation, Conservation Commission and Department of Health representatives, to review the initiatives set forth herein and to periodically advise the Board of Selectmen and other appointing authorities on progress to achieve the aspirations herein and any updates necessitated by changed conditions and good practice in the following areas:
- Evaluation of proposed investments to replace natural grass fields with new artificial fields or renovate existing artificial turf fields with consideration to health, environmental, and cost/benefit issues.
- Identification of funding and thresholds for: a) sampling current artificial turf fields and infill, and b) using an independent testing laboratory and government accepted testing protocols to evaluate the presence of and risk posed by any chemicals of concern.
- Consideration of recommendations such as those from the Center for Disease Control, other Federal and State agencies and professional organizations to develop protocols and to monitor field temperatures, develop methodologies to issue appropriate advisories and establish temperature safety standards for Town artificial turf fields.
- Development of artificial turf field user and maintenance standards to assist and better regulate any identified post-construction usage and maintenance concerns, in compliance with the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Consideration of life-cycle costs in the financial analysis of any artificial turf field acquisition decision.
- Development of new artificial turf project specifications, requiring best available technology employment with cost efficient and proper consideration to health, safety and environmental compliance regulations.