WELCOME TO GREENWICH CONNECTICUT
Search
Collage of Greenwich sights, link to Homepage.
Fire Department Safety Tips  Carbon Monoxide
Fire Department Safety Tips Carbon Monoxide

With the loss of power, the Greenwich Fire Department is experiencing an increase in call volume due to persons attempting to use alternative sources to heat their homes. Please keep safety in mind when using an alternative heating source and consider the following:

• Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. A single gas-powered generator can produce as much as 100 times more poisonous Carbon Monoxide gas than a car’s exhaust.
• Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage. Opening the garage door does not make it safe.
• Never use a generator in a flooded area.
• Operate generators outdoors as far away from your house as possible. The National Institute of Standards and Technology reports that even 15 feet away may still be dangerous because the CO fumes can enter the home through windows, doors or vents.
• Tests are still being conducted to find a safe operating distance.
• Never refuel a generator while it is running or hot.
• Install CO detectors inside the home near all the sleeping areas.
• Electric or Gas stoves should not be used in an attempt to heat your home.

For additional information on safety tips
click here.

Assistant Fire Chief

Robert J. Kick

Go Back | Fire Dept News | All News


FIRST SELECTMAN:
 
Peter-Tesei-75w-2013.jpg
Peter Tesei
Welcome to the Town of Greenwich Web site. It is our goal to provide you with an online one-stop shop for all information about the Town of Greenwich... Read more
More
POPULAR SECTIONS OF OUR SITE:
More
Link to Town Movies
View-or-Pay-Taxes-lg.jpg
GCTV-button.png
The Greenwich Community Covenant
Community_FIRST_Button.jpg
Solarize
 
 
 
 
 

 
Town Hall - 101 Field Point Road, Greenwich, CT 06830. Phone: (203) 622-7700. Copyright © , Town of Greenwich. All rights reserved.