Fire Department Safety Tips – Carbon Monoxide|
With the loss of power, the Greenwich Fire Department is experiencing an increase in call volume due to persons attempting to use alternative sources to heat their homes. Please keep safety in mind when using an alternative heating source and consider the following:
• Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. A single gas-powered generator can produce as much as 100 times more poisonous Carbon Monoxide gas than a car’s exhaust.
• Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage. Opening the garage door does not make it safe.
• Never use a generator in a flooded area.
• Operate generators outdoors as far away from your house as possible. The National Institute of Standards and Technology reports that even 15 feet away may still be dangerous because the CO fumes can enter the home through windows, doors or vents.
• Tests are still being conducted to find a safe operating distance.
• Never refuel a generator while it is running or hot.
• Install CO detectors inside the home near all the sleeping areas.
• Electric or Gas stoves should not be used in an attempt to heat your home.
For additional information on safety tips click here.
Assistant Fire Chief
Robert J. Kick
Go Back | Fire Dept News | All News