Recorded Announcement 10/28/2012 6:00PM
All areas in Hurricane SLOSH Zones 1, 2 and 3 are subject to immediate and mandatory evacuation. Voluntary evacuations of residences in SLOSH Zone 4 are encouraged. Beginning at 1:00 pm today, Sunday, October 28, 2012, emergency personnel began to distribute mandatory evacuation order flyers in the affected areas, however, do not rely on receiving in person notification. If you live or work in any of the affected areas, these are locations where models predict flooding will occur. This may be the only evacuation warning you receive. It is essential that you evacuate to higher ground as soon as possible.
Greenwich Schools will be closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Your first option should be to seek shelter with family or friends or in a hotel. A location north of the Merritt Parkway will be best. Your second option should be to seek shelter at one of the two emergency shelters in Greenwich. The shelters are located at the Eastern Middle School, 51 Hendrie Avenue and at the Western Greenwich Civic Center, 449 Pemberwick Road.
• When you evacuate, bring a three (3) day supply of clothes, medicine, personal hygiene products and baby formula if you have a baby.
• Even if you are not evacuating to a public shelter, bring a blanket and pillow.
• Make sure your cell phone is charged. Bring your charger.
• Only Service Animals are allowed at public shelters. If you must, leave your pets on the second floor of your home with adequate food and water.
• To reduce the risk of fire, turn off the main gas valve at the meter if you know how to do so.
• Before you leave, make an effort to secure all loose articles around your home, especially propane tanks which should have their valves closed.
• When traveling outdoors, do not approach downed power lines and never enter or cross moving or rising water.
The coming hurricane is exceedingly large and dangerous. Please comply with this evacuation order promptly
. Be aware that this may be the only evacuation warning you receive. Town of Greenwich emergency personnel and first responders are as prepared as we can be but rely on you to cooperate with evacuation orders. Thank you for helping us keep your families safe.