Collage of Greenwich sights, link to Homepage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Community Development

  • What is Community Development?
  • How are the CDBG funds allocated?
  • I want to rent an affordable apartment or purchase a home. How do I apply?

  • Q. What is Community Development?
    Community Development is a federally funded program known as the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program which returns tax revenues to local communities for the purpose of addressing the identified needs of the local communities with an emphasis on viable neighborhoods, decent housing, suitable living environment, and expanding economic opportunities for persons of low and moderate incomes. More details can be found in The Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, and subsequent amendments.

    Q. How are the CDBG funds allocated?
    Non Profit organizations may apply for a grant to address identified needs of low and moderate-income Greenwich residents.

    Step One: A notice of CDBG fund availability began each May, with a community-wide mailing and public notice inviting the public to apply for anticipated grant funds.

    Step Two: Proposals are evaluated per CDBG regulations, the Community Development Advisory Committee and recommended by the First Selectman for action by the BET in September, and the RTM in October with final approval of the US Department of Housing and redevelopment in December of each year. 

    Step three: Funds made available to the successful non-profit organizations, through a formal contract agreement between the non-profit and the Town to carry out the program as approved.

    Q. I want to rent an affordable apartment or purchase a home. How do I apply?
    Community Development is not a direct housing provider. CDBG funds are often used to support the development and or rehabilitation of housing that is affordable to lower income persons and families. The following are organizations that manage or assist with affordable housing:

    Rental Housing

    1. Greenwich Housing Authority (Family and Elderly Housing) 203-869-1138
    2. The Mews (Assisted Living-Elderly) (203) 869-9448
    3. Hill House (Elderly) 203-637-3177
    4. Pathways, Inc. (elderly) 203-869-5656
    5. Greenwich Association of Retarded Citizens 203-531-1880
    6. Augustana Homes (elderly) 203-637-8065
    7. Pavilion House (Elderly) Nathaniel Witherell: Peter Madden 203-618-4216
    8. Parsonage Cottage: Greenwich Housing Authority 203-869-1138
    9. Diamond Hill Community Services corp. (Family) 203-869-5493

    Ownership Housing

    1. Adopt-A-House (Down Payment Assistance) 203-356-9287 (Website: www.hdf-ct.org)

    Department Information
    · General Information
    · Documents & Reports
    · Project Updates
    · Meeting Information
    · Frequently Asked Questions
    Useful Links
    · HUD Grantees & Non Profits
    · US Census
    Department FAQs:
    Featured Sections of Our Site
    design image
    Greenwich POCD 2019
    Greenwich Water Supply & Conservation
    Greenwich Community Television
    The Greenwich Community Covenant
    Community Videos

    Town Hall - 101 Field Point Road, Greenwich, CT 06830. Phone: (203) 622-7700. Copyright © , Town of Greenwich. All rights reserved.